I attended an event last Sunday in conjunction of the Press Freedom Day, but I took no pictures because it was a forum/discussion for practicing and non-practicing journalists, and I was too engrossed ith the discussion to even snap any pictures. 😀 This is a rather outdated post, but please, allow me to share this with you:
The right-wing press, especially mainstream newspapers, are spreading lies, hate and thinly veiled racism to make people angry at their chosen scapegoats.
- Create mass hysteria about child abuse then claim children are allowed to run wild because teachers and parents aren’t allowed to control them – because they’d be accused of child abuse.
- Misrepresent statistics to have the public under the illusion that everything is all right. Eg: Oil price, economical development.
- Lie about political refugee and immigrants to stoke racial tensions that they claim immigration causes.
- Use emotive language to spin articles to their agenda and write about alleged crimes as if they are guilty until proven innocent.
- Use emotive language to stoke racial tension.
- Claim to be environmental but side with big business that undermines the Mother Nature.
- Being politically biased, and reported lies instead of truth, just because they’re under pressure.
What could we do to make the public see this?
For years cigarette packets have come with health warnings, it’s about time some of the local mainstream newspaper came with similar warnings.
You can print these out onto A4 self-adhesive label sheets (available from your local stationers) to stick to the front of the newspaper in question and spread the word.
Cleffairy: The reason why I quit being a journalist is that I was forced to report lies. I worked in one of Malaysia favourite mainstream newspaper before, and yet, the newspaper body itself lacks quality and the editors were always under pressure from you-know-who. If I were to work for such newspaper, I’m better off working for a tabloid.