So, okay. I got a little bit lazy and moody over the weekend, so now, as promised, I’ll share with you another recipe I learned from Chef Wan’s workshop, Greek Moussaka.
Here’s Chef Wan, preparing the ingredients for the Greek Moussaka.
Raw ingredients in the pan
The base of the Greek Moussaka
How it should look like after spreading the sauce and the fried eggplants on it.
One tip to make a good Greek Moussaka is that you must be generous with the cheese, or it won’t taste nice
Yummy looking, isn’t it? Here’s how you make Greek Moussaka:
2 packets of Simplot hashbrown, fried and crumbled
2 yellow onions, chopped
6 garlic, minched
800grams of minched beef/lamb/chicken
1 tablespoon of dried oregano
1 handful of fresh basil, chopped
A few stalks of fresh thyme
A handful of fresh Italian parsley
2 cans of Leggo’s Tomato Puree
4 large table spoon of Leggo’s Tomato Paste
3 tablespoon of sweet paprika
4 large Mediterranean eggplants, sliced 2 cm thick and sauteed til soft and brown with olive oil
1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
4 cups of milk-bring to simmer with a pinch of cinnamon powder and nutmeg
3 tablespoon of flour
150 grams of butter
2 cups of grated mozarella cheese
2 cups of grated parmesan cheese
To make the Greek Moussaka:
- Â Heat olive oil and sautee the onions and garlic til soften and add the minced land/beef/chicken in the pan. Add fresh herbs and brown the meat slowly over a medium heat.
- Add Leggo’s Tomato Puree, leggo’s Tomato Paste and season with salt, fresh crack black pepper and sugar. Cook the meat sauce until it is slightly thickens.
- In another pan, prepare the white sauce by melting the butter and adding the flour, stirring for 2 minutes. Slowly add the hot milk and stir them to form thick sauce. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- To assemble the Moussaka, spread a layer of Simplot Hashbrowns in the bottom of a greased baking tray.
- Spread the top of the hashbrowns with the meat sauce and arage a single layer of all the eggplants.
- Sprinkle both mozarella and parmesan cheese, and repeat everything in two layers.
- Finish the top later with white sauce and both cheeses. Cover the tray with alluminium foil and bake in the oven for 180 degress for approximately 30-40 minutes. Remove from the oven, and leave it to stand for 5-10 minutes to set before putting it back in to bake for another 10 minutes for the top to brown.
- Serve Moussaka lukewam.
Preparation time: 15 mins/Cook 1 hour 15 mins/Serves 4-6 person.
Cleffairy: Have fun trying, folks. 😀